Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken Caesar Salad – AIP, Paleo, Whole 30, Low-FODMAP
Sometimes we crave a little something…familiar, but we’re tired of the same-ol-thang.
As a chef, I’ve always enjoyed giving the most basic, recognizable comfort foods a gently elegant twist. This little twist can elevate the dish to “a whole ‘nuther level” whilst preserving it’s classic integrity. What’s been the most fun for me while being on the Autoimmune Paleo bandwagon has been re-creating these classic dishes, most of which have inflammatory ingredients, and transforming them into gut-healing powerhouses.
One of my favorite salads has always been the clean-cut Chicken Caesar. If you’ve had the pleasure of having one freshly (and entertainingly!) prepared table-side at an Italian restaurant or steakhouse, you know that something so basic can be amazingly satisfying when made with high-quality ingredients.
Parmesan cheese, eggs and grain-laden croutons are definitely not for us on the strict AIP, but the good news is this recipe will leave you wanting not! I have replaced these ingredients with nutritional yeast, coconut milk, and prosciutto. We are definitely not lacking in flavor for this one, y’all.
And the best news, you can whip up this classy salata in around 30 minutes, start to finish. (Pssst…and in even less time if you already have a pre-washed salad blend ready to go.) And, with only 7 ingredients (not including salt and cooking fat), there’s not much guesswork involved here. In the kitchen, and out fast with something beautiful and delicious.
- 2 Romaine hearts, washed and dried well (or 4 cups baby mixed greens)
- 1 Tb Cooking fat
- 4 4-oz pieces Chicken, boneless
- 4 slices Prosciutto
- Tear washed and dried romaine into desired size pieces and place in large bowl. Chill.
- On a flat surface, lay out a piece of prosciutto.
- Place a piece of chicken in the center. Sprinkle a little bit of salt and a little bit of garlic powder on the exposed chicken.
- Fold one side over the top of the chicken, then fold over the other side.
- It doesn't have to look perfectly wrapped, just make sure it is snug enough to not slip off when you pick it up.
- Set aside and repeat with remaining chicken and prosciutto.
- Heat a ceramic non-stick pan (one that has a lid) over medium heat.
- Melt cooking fat, then add wrapped chicken pieces.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until prosciutto barely starts to brown.
- Flip pieces over, re-cover and cook about 10 more minutes or until prosciutto is gently browned and chicken is fully cooked through.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients very well.
- Pour dressing over chilled lettuce just before serving.
- Portion salad onto plates and top with a piece of chicken
- A tsp of honey and/or an anchovy can be added to the dressing and will slightly sweeten it and give a nutty flavor, if desired.
- Be sure your prosciutto has no other ingredients other than pork and salt. Costco has a great brand, although it is not pastured.
- The chicken also goes well with other vegetable side dishes.