Bubble & Squeak – AIP, Paleo, Low Carb
The British sure did right by their leftovers.
I mean, check out today’s recipe, “Bubble & Squeak.” Traditionally it is made from the leftovers of a roast and its side dishes, and is named after the sounds that the veggies make in the pan while you are re-cooking them with fat. (Bacon fat, Lard, Coconut Oil…please stand up.)
The Irish also have a similar dish, called Colcannon. Although, Colcannon seems to me more like mostly mashed potatoes with a handful of veggies thrown in there, while Bubble & Squeak is reversed and is compromised more of veggies and just a bit of potatoes.
But enough of that! We aren’t putting potatoes in this anyway because it is Autoimmune Paleo, Paleo, and Low Carb friendly.
This one uses cabbage as its main veggie along with carrots, green onions, and garlic. Its so hearty with the nice big chunks of pulled pork (or whatever leftover meat you have on hand, honestly) and nice big chunks of vegetables.
And it uses up LEFTOVERS. I LOVVVE LEFTOVERS!! Sorry for shouting. I just really love not having to cook Every. Single. Meal. From. Scratch.
- 1-2 Tb Cooking fat of choice (I prefer bacon grease with this one)
- 2 cup Cabbage, cut into bite sized chunks
- 4 Green onions, circle cut
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced roughly into 1/4" coins
- 1 lb Leftover pork or beef roast, pulled into large shreds
- 2 clove garlic, pressed
- Dill, parsley, thyme to taste
- Himalayan salt, to taste
- Heat fat in large skillet or dutch-oven (one that has a lid) over medium-high heat.
- Add in veggies, stirring well to coat in fat, and cover.
- Allow to soften for 5 minutes.
- Add in shredded meat, garlic and herbs, stirring well, and cover again for 5 more minutes.
- Taste then season with salt.
- If you desire more carbs, you can add leftover cooked root vegetables.
- For those not on an autoimmune protocol, a fried egg on top is delicious!