Instant Pot Creamy Artichoke Chicken Stew – Whole 30, AIP
During your non-Paleo days, did you ever greedily scarf massive amounts of that creamy spinach-artichoke dip with a huge serving (or four) of tortillas chips? Yeah…me neither…*wink*
This Creamy Artichoke Chicken Stew is a much more nutrient dense and digestible version, and can be made almost as quickly as that old favorite appeteaser of ours in your Instant Pot! You can even whip this up on your stove top if you wanted to; you would just need to modify the cooking time slightly after all of the ingredients are added.
This hearty soup boasts some awesome nutrient powerhouses: chicken for protein; bone broth in all of its beneficial glory; cashew milk (click here for recipe!) for flavanols; ghee for those essential fatty acids we all love; spinach and parsley for green magic powers; garlic for antiviral properties; and artichokes for their antioxidants and fiber. I’ve also included instruction substitutions for those of y’all following the Autoimmune Protocol. Be sure to use coconut milk instead of cashew milk, and to use an AIP-friendly cooking fat in place of the ghee.
I also loaded it with mushrooms, which are great for an immunity boost, but if you are not a fan these could easily be omitted. Just use some thinly sliced celery or carrots, or even more spinach to fill in the gaps.
- ½ small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tb ghee (for AIP use AIP-friendly cooking fat)
- 1 cup bone broth
- 1 cup cashew milk (for AIP use coconut milk)
- 1 tsp dry sherry (omit for AIP and Whole 30)
- 2 Tb lemon juice
- 1 lb mushrooms, quartered
- 13oz can artichokes, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 lb cooked chicken, roughly shredded
- 2 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 Tb parsley
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp mace
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt, or to taste
- black pepper to taste (omit for AIP)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cup spinach, roughly chopped
- Fresh parsley for garnish, if desired
- Press the SAUTÉ function on the Instant Pot.
- Add in the onion and ghee - or lard.
- Use a splatter screen and saute the onions until the begin to brown and are softened, about 6 minutes.
- Press the OFF / CANCEL button.
- Add in all remaining ingredients in except spinach. Stir.
- Twist the cover onto the Instant Pot, ensuring vent is closed.
- Press the MANUAL button, adjust PRESSURE to LOW, and adjust time to 5 minutes.
- Allow cycle to run, and when the unit beeps, hit the OFF / CANCEL button.
- Carefully depressurize by venting.
- Remove the lid, and stir in spinach.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- To make on the stovetop, saute onions in fat in a large dutch oven, and when soft, add all remaining ingredients and cover. Bring to the boil, then remove lid and reduce heat to medium. Simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly reduced, thickened and everything is tender.
- Goes deliciously with my Flaky Flat Cassava Bread!